Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

i need an avian vet in hertfordshire

Customer Question

i need an avian vet in hertfordshire
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Just as I am sure you are, I must say I am very concerned about Percy, especially if he is showing these signs of breathing issues. This rapid breathing and now doing so open mouth is a red flag that he may not be able to exchange oxygen as well as he normally has been able to do. This is a red flag of urgency and he may need his vet to put him on oxygen to stabilize while addressing what is causing his respiratory disease.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX a local avian vet, you can do so via the RCVS register (LINK). Use the advanced search option to find a vet in your area that does treat birds. (Here is for the county you have listed HERE) Furthermore, you can check where you can find an avian vet near you at http://www.aav.org/search/, Avian web (LINK) or Birdsnway (LINK). As well, a lot of the vet schools (ie Edinburgh, Bristol, RVC, etc.) will either have an exotics vet on site or will have ties to one that they can refer you to (ie. Glasgow).

Finally, if you are struggling to find a local avain vet, then you may need to just consider getting him at least on oxygen at a local companion animal practice for the short term until you can get him stable enough for a longer transit to a bird specialist (or until a bird specialist can come down to him).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Best wishes for wee Percy,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )