Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

I took my 6 year old cat to the vet because she was passing

Customer Question

I took my 6 year old cat to the vet because she was passing little bits of water often,the vet. Gave her in injection and also some vetoquinol tablets to be taken twice a day,she now has diarrhea,I starved her for 24 hours but after being back on food it has started again.she hasn,t settled well since we moved in 5 weeks ago,she won't go out and she is not approachable,she has always been a bit of a biter but this has gotten worse
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your cat Ruby who has had diarrhea since being treated for increased urination, as well as becoming less approachable since you moved a few weeks ago. There are a few things that could be going on here, however it is likely the diarrhea is due to the Vetoquinol tablets (likely antibiotics). We also have to consider whether Ruby could have a GI infection, GI parasites (ie intestinal worms) or even an internal organ issue. Whatever the case, hopefully she is near the end of her antibiotic course. For the diarrhoea, you are best trying you girl on a bland diet. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice is perfect for this type of scenario, however if she doesn't go for that, try cooked, boneless, white fish fillet and rice. If the diarrhea has been ongoing for more thatn 3 - 4 days, you are best to take a fresh faecal sample in to your Vet and to explain what has happened.

As far as the change in behaviour goes, this is more than likely due to the stress of the move. You are going to have to watch Ruby around your grandson for now, until she is well and used to her new environment. This particular situation is well suited for a pheromone diffuser, so please get one if you don't have one already. Feliway can be purchased from your local Veterinary Surgery and it is relatively cheap. It is a feline pheromone diffuser that just plugs in to a power socket inside your home. It is ideal for settling cats like Ruby in this particular type of situation. You can read more about the product online at www.feliway.co.uk .

Also make sure that Ruby is up to date with deworming treatments and be sure to use a reliable product like Drontal or Milbemax for this. Best of luck with your girl and do take in a fresh faecal sample this week if this has been ongoing for more than a few days now. Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards