Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my turtle has been wounded by a dog - she is not eating or

Customer Question

my turtle has been wounded by a dog - she is not eating or moving although her head is now outside her shell - i have put antiseptic spray on her wounds - kept her warm and tried to give pain relief -
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

Sorry to hear about this, I guess this is a Red Eared Terrapin you have? Basically what you have done is about all you can do, make sure the wounds do not get too infected and keep her warm, comfortable and safe and keep offering food and encouraging her to eat. sometimes they will come round from these sorts of incidents but it could take some time.

Vet_Answers :

It is possible for your vet to inject her with antibiotics and this may be better than the antiseptic spray as it will get into the depths of the wounds.

Please continue our conversation this way ...

Regards,

Scott