Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog had a tick dropped off him<, i thought it had been a

Customer Question

My dog had a tick dropped off him<, i thought it had been a skin tag or wart, however today it was clearly a tick which as i said has dropped off :( it has left a lump behind, please can you advise? thank you. lynne Roberts
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

Which part of the UK do you live in? the reason I ask is that tick borne diseases are starting to appear in Southern UK, but this is still very rare.

JACUSTOMER-r7nkhie7- :

I live in South East Cornwall

Vet_Answers :

That's fine, thanks for the quick reply. The situation is that ticks very often leave a small abscess / lump { more of a spot really } where they were feeding. This does not normally need any treatment and will disappear on it's own in a couple of weeks or so. I guess some may need treatment with antibiotics if they get worse but I cannot remember the last time I needed to do this.

JACUSTOMER-r7nkhie7- :

I would not say that the lump is small, it is quite big, but does not seem to bother JJ.

Vet_Answers :

Ticks in the UK are almost always just a nuisance and do not cause any problems other than the small lump you have seen and perhaps some irritation. However over the last few years we have started to see more tick borne diseases in particular in the counties close to the English Channel,some say this is because of global warming. I would not worry on this score as it is very rare but if any odd symptoms develop you should have your dog checked over by your vet. Here is a link with more info : LINK

Vet_Answers :

Roughly how big is this lump? bigger than a grape?

JACUSTOMER-r7nkhie7- :

About the size of a grape

Vet_Answers :

Ok, I would very much doubt if this is a problem but it could be an abscess forming following the tick bite. This is rare and not really a problem but you would be best to have your vet take a look as antibiotics may be a good idea.

JACUSTOMER-r7nkhie7- :

Vet_Answers :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ... good luck ... Scott