gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet with 13 years of experience dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics
73965271

looking after a 7 year old greyhound as his very elderly owner

Customer Question

looking after a 7 year old greyhound as his very elderly owner not able to look after him at the moment. Took to vets on wednesday. Given 2 injections noroclav and cerenia, now on protexin pro kol and zantac syrup and noroclav tabs. Seemed to perk up a bit after injections but dont think the lady who was supposed to be giving him his meds has managed it. He seems depressed and is not keeping anythihg down and his tabs are supposed to go with food. He also has terrible diarrhoea
He cant have eaten anything for several days, he was losing weight before Wednesday but I dont know exactly long it is since he's kept anything down..at least since wednesday and probably a few days longer. As I have got him to make sure he gets his meds over the weekend..will he be ok til Monday or do you think I should get him to emergency vet? Ive tried chicken, fish..he has just been sick again! I dont want him to suffer organ failure. He is drinking lots of water. vet said there is a very nasty bug going round which greyhounds can be succeptible too because of their poor immune systems..and this one has it bad!
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet :

Hi there

gpvet :

I have just logged in and seen your question has not been answered yet, so sorry about the delay.

gpvet :

Regarding his meds - none of them absolutely have to go with food, so you can try them given directly orally. I would focus on getting the zantac syrup down as your priority as that can help with the nausea. If you can get that to stay down for 30-60 mins it may help. Then try the noroclav tablets, but don't worry too much about the prokolin at the moment. If you can get the meds to stay down, then try him with some food - but a very small amount, may be one or two mouthfuls. The fact he is drinking is a good sign, as it will help him keep hydrated, but we need to make sure the fluid is staying down as well

gpvet :

Things that would make me want to see him more urgently than monday:

gpvet :

1) Inability to keep oral meds down

gpvet :

2) Inability to keep water down

gpvet :

3) If you pick up some loose skin at the base of his neck, pull it away from his body and then release it, it should sink straight back down. If this does not happen or it sinks slowly, then he could be dehydrated.#

gpvet :

If he is being very sick still, your vet may want to repeat the cerenia injection as it is potent anti-emetic, and if he is dehydrated he may need fluids. With the weather we are having at the moment, dehydration is likely to occur more quickly than it might in cooler weather.

gpvet :

I hope this is helpful to you, and if you have further questions when you come back online then please do not hesitate to ask.

gpvet :

Debbie