Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

My cat is making herself sick nearly every day with fur balls,

Customer Question

My cat is making herself sick nearly every day with fur balls, is this normal and what can I do about it? She is otherwise very healthy and full of energy, and very happy to be cuddled & handled etc.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Is she long haired or short haired?

Is there only hair in the vomit or is there food as well?

How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Probably about medium length haired (she is a black & white moggy so no particular breed, but she definitely is slightly longer haired than her sister from the same litter who is fine).

There is quite often food in the vomit as well.

She's always been a bit more prone to being sick than her sister but it's got noticeably more intensive in the last couple of weeks although she looks very healthy, has a good appetite and is otherwise not behaving any differently than useful.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Cat hair is made of fiber and does not digest. The longer the hair, the harder it is to digest as well as morelikely to ball up and cause problems. Since cats groom themeselves every day, the problem can become chronic. In cats that have chronic problems, the best treatment is to lubricate the stomach with Cat Lax twice a day for 4-5 days. The oil in the Cat Lax helps break up hair clumps and lubricate them so they pass without issue. There is hairball food as well, but I have never had success with it in my own cats. Once the vomiting stops, the Cat Lax may need to be used a few times a week to prevent the vomiting from returning. I mix it right into the food and the cats eat it. Some take it like a treat. Others to have to squirt it into their mouth because they refuse to eat it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great, thank you very much for your help. Please may I also ask, is it possible to buy Cat Lax on-line or do I need to take her into the vet to get a prescription?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
You should be able to get it online or at any place that sells pet supplies. It is not a prescription product.