gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet with 13 years of experience dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics
73965271

Hello, My dog has recurrent anal gland problems and the vet

Customer Question

My dog has recurrent anal gland problems and the vet prescribes anti biotics for this.
She is on a dry kibble hills iz to help with the situation
I am looking for a way to look after this problem by holostic means.
I am trying pumpkin (unsweetened) but wonder if there is anything else out there.
At the minute she has a very red anus (sore when passing stools) no abbsess according to vet. I am so concerned that she has so many antibiotics,
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet : Hi there
gpvet : anal gland issues can be very frustrating. What we need to do is ensure Holly is passing a firm bulky stool, so the anal glands are emptied naturally as she goes to the toilet. That is what the pumpkin is trying to achieve. If this is unsuccessful then i would recommend trying a product called Protexin Profibre, which you can add to her food. It is designed especially for this issue in mind.
gpvet : If holly is really bad with her glands, then you can consider having them removed, but it is quite a painful surgery that can occasionally have unpleasant side effects such as incontinence.
gpvet : I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask me.
gpvet : Debbie
JACUSTOMER-yybvvn2w- : Holly has just been to the toilet. Loose stools but she till yelping so must be very sore. I looked t her bottom not so red but loos lie a little pt/pimple in anus??? Does ths relate anything to you?
JACUSTOMER-yybvvn2w- : thanks Linda
gpvet : Hi Linda. It sounds like she might be developing an abscess in the gland. Is she on antibiotics at the moment?