Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi ive been told by my doctor I have to get rid of my cockatiel

Customer Question

Hi ive been told by my doctor I have to get rid of my cockatiel for health reasons where can I take him I live in March Cambridgeshire ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am so sorry to hear that you have to rehome Charlie.
Now finding a shelter or rescue that will take domestic birds can be difficult since many rescues are aimed at helping the common domestic species or wildlife.

That said, I would first strongly suggest speaking to your local avian vets about this situation. They will be your best assets in finding/contacting those bird rescues in your areas since they will likely have a relationship with them (as they will be treating their foster birds). Furthermore, you may find that established relationship a good means of opening doors to get one of these local rescues to take Charlie in. To find your local avian vet, you can check the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons register HERE.

Further to that, it is work contacting the Birdline UK (LINK). They were originally based in Warwickshire but do act further afield to aid birds in this kind of situation and worth contacting them. Furthermore, you might consider having a peek at this database listing for Cambridgeshire rescues (HERE). Some of these will not be appropriate for Charlie, but there are a number on the list that do rehome and rescue domestic birds. So, this too is worth looking through and making some contacts about potential rescuers for Charlie.

Overall, this is never a nice situation to be in. So, I would advise contacting these rescues but I would again strongly advise getting your local vets involved. They will be able to advise you if there are any local rescues who could take your wee lad in and they may even let you advertise in the practice to find him a home (or may even know someone who is looking for a cockatiel to perhaps replace a recently lost friend).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )