Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 2 yr old hamster has started having fits, it does not want

Customer Question

My 2 yr old hamster has started having fits, it does not want to be handled and usually does , my last hamster died after its first fit but was older and bigger. \please can u help me as my daughter is very distressed
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll do my best to be of help here. Twilight is really geriatric for a hamster. Two for them is like 100 for us. One thing that you could address at home for seizures is hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. Twilight can have all of the same diseases that we have, and low blood sugar is just one but one that can cause seizures. In this case giving Twilight some karo syrup might do the trick for you. If you have a small syringe this would be great to use, or perhaps you can draw some up in a straw and then release it in her mouth. You can't really give too much, but I would try at least 1/2 tsp. It's going to be messy, but just do your best.
When did Twilight last eat and drink?