Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My semi-aquatic turtle appears to have shell-rot. A piece of

Customer Question

My semi-aquatic turtle appears to have shell-rot. A piece of edge shell is missing by the tail and the body cavity is exposed. I will find a vet tomorrow but what is the best emergency treatment I can give at home. Salt bath? Then dry? I haven't got any iodine substitute. Any family medicine appropriate? Anti_fungal cream?
Other turtle has a whitish area on two edge scales. Is salt in the water a good idea? We will replace the UV tube tomorrow. Filter is already cleaned and have done a 50% water change.
Please can you help? Liz
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Hi Liz. I'm Dr. Deb and I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been asnwered. I'm so sorry that you''ve had to wait for a reply to your concern about your turtle.
If you still need assistance, I'd like to help.

The first aid that you can provide him until your vet visit would be as follows:

1. Since you don't have any iodine, you can soak him in a mild solution of Aquarium salt and warm water for 30 minutes. 1 tsp of aquarium salt to 1 gallon of warm water.
Regular iodized salt can be harmful and should be avoided.
2. Then dry him really well.
3. If you have any Polysporoin or Bacitricin or other antibacterial cream/ointment, you can apply this to the area.
4. Don't use anti-fungal cream on an open wound; this won't be therapeutic.
5. Keep him dry docked until you can have him seen tomorrow.

For your other turtle, you can use a very small amount of anti-fungal products such as Clotrimazole or Miconozole. You can also soak him first as mentioned above.

I hope this helps and that both turtles will be ok. Again, my apologies for the delayed response to you. Deb