Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 16 month bearded dragon, hes normally a pig with

Customer Question

I have a 16 month bearded dragon, he's normally a pig with hoppers (over 50 of XL a week). I've been away for 4 days and my capable friend has been looking after him. I've came back and he's not eating any hoppers and his poo is just brown puddles of water. His temps are 31H 41B and 28C. He's had a bath which he drank some water and then tried to poo for ages and there was some brown water again but he struggle for 2 mins and managed a bit of solid about the size of a peanut.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Hello Carl, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a reply.

I do have a few questions to ask about Drazil first so that I can provide you with the best possible answer and so that I have an idea of his situation.

1. Can you tell me about his living set up?
2. What kind of substrate do you use?
3. Do you have a basking light?
4. if so, is it a UVB light versus a MVB one?
a) Fluorescent tube or compact coil?
b) What is the age of the bulb?
c) What is the strength and brand?
5. Do you provide supplements? If so, what are they?

6. What veggies do you feed Drazil?

I apologize for so many questions but the answers will help point me in one direction or another.

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
His viv is 4 x 2 x 2 feet
It's a moulded solid floor that's been grouted and sealed with non toxic varnish.
Basking bulb is just a 75w halogen spot bulb
I have an Arcadia T5 set up running 2 thirds the viv
The Arcadia bulb is a month old and a 12% UVB
I dust all his live food with rapashy calcium plus
I mainly use lambs lettuce with occasional grated carrot but my friend did give him red pepper while I was away
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.
Carl:
Thanks for the answers to my questions.
I had to step away from my computer for just a little bit (I had to take the dogs outside) but I just wanted you to know that I'll provide an answer for you shortly.

Please ignore the information request. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Carl:
Thanks for your patience.
Your diet looks good with perhaps a slight modification as I'll mention below and your husbandy looks good as well. The red pepper your friend fed him was fine and wouldn't be expected to cause this problem.

I suspect that Drazil may have a parasite issue. This is fairly common for dragons who eat a diet of live prey and veggies. Live prey can transmit coccidia, giardia and pinworms while veggies can transmit giardia.

You'll want to have a fresh fecal (stool sample) checked by a reptile vet (see below) who can then prescribe appropriate medication but for now, these are my suggestions:

1. Soak him in Dioralyte and warm water (50/50) for 30 minutes twice a day which can help replace electrolytes and rehydrate him.
2. I would start him on a probiotic such as Bene Bac which is available at most pet supply stores. Just follow the label as to dosage based on body weight. (LINK).
3. As far as diet is concerned, you might want to consider silk worms or phoenix worms which are a somewhat better source of nutrition when it comes to live prey. (LINK)

If you don't have a good reptile specialist, this LINK and this LINK will help you find one.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best with Drazil. Again, my apologies for the delayed response to you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.
Carl:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Drazil. How's he doing? Deb