Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

hi,i am seriously worried about my 9 year old house rabbit..he

Customer Question

hi,i am seriously worried about my 9 year old house rabbit..he is drinking huge amounts and weeing just about everywhere,all four legs are brown with urine and now he doesn't seem to be walking properly at all,when he does he flicks and stamps his back legs then lifts his front legs in the air as if to lick them but then puts them down and i am so concerned abot him.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Sorry to hear that Gizmo isn't feeling well. His PU/PD (PolyUria/PolyDypsia.. .drinking a lot of water and urinating excessively), could be from a few different causes. He may have a bladder infection, he may have bladder stones, he may have kidney disease, or he could be diabetic. Rabbits will usually stamp their back legs when they are fightened or painful. You said that his legs are urine stained, so the skin underneath could be very inflamed and sore.

Dr. Barbara :

He should see his vet there to determine what is causing him to produce so much urine, and to have his underneath side and legs checked and treated if necessary.

Dr. Barbara :

You may be able to care for his legs and belly skin at home, but to determine what is wrong and to get proper treatment, he'll need a veterinary visit.

Dr. Barbara :

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Dr. Barbara

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thankyou, its going to be a challenge taking him because in the 9 years of having him he has never ever been held because he hates it,but he loves a stroke,and apart from getting him checked out when he was 8 weeks old he has never seen a vet.

I'd use a cat carrier. . .I picture you giving him that stroke in front of an open carrier that has a towel on the bottom. (This is a front loading carrier I'm picturing). Then quickly swoop him into the carrier. Using a carrier will be the safest way to transport him, and also if you cover the carrier with a sheet or light blanket, he'll feel more protected.
Good luck!
Dr. Barbara