Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

will long flight feathers grow back when accidentaly pulled

Customer Question

will long flight feathers grow back when accidentaly pulled out? Quill had blood on end.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Sparky today.

I assume that if this was two weeks ago, that the volume of blood seen was minimal or has been controlled. Otherwise, as long as the feather's follicle was not been damaged, then the lost flight feather should regrow over the next several months (depending on the maturity of the feather lost). If Sparky has lost a number of feathers recently (and has a compromised flying ability), then you do want to consider restricting his activity to prevent further damage. Depending on his situation, this may mean being confined to his cage or potentially being allowed out under close supervision and only in places where everything is padded to ensure protection from trauma.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )