DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

I have adult rescued rabbits I want to know in your opinion which food

Customer Question

I have adult rescued rabbits I want to know in your opinion which food is the best to feed my rabbits oxbow bunny basics which is timothy hay based and low fat but has not got a prebiotic in it but is 27 percent fibre, Burgess excel which has a prebiotic in it and 2 kinds of fibre or Science selective which is alfalfa based and has a prebiotic in it but im worried it may be too fattening for adult rabbits but it has 25 percent fibre.
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

The most common problem with commercial foods today is what is known as selective feeding , meaning that foods are too concentrated with all the dietary requirements and/or the rabbit can pick of the particles of the food he/she likes best .

DR.J :

The outcome of which is 1. they don't spend enough time chowing which leads to overgrowth of teeth and dental disease 2. not getting all that they need.

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

They are on pellets so they cannot selective feed the dwarfs get 30 grams of pellets the medium get 40 the large get 50 grams plus unlimited hay which pellets do you recommend

DR.J :

What I recommend when it comes to rabbit feeding is the following (I will let you finish typing first )

DR.J :

I don't recommend pellets at all as they are the more concentrated energy rich type of food which means that the rabbits get all they need in a short span of time and don't work their teeth enough .

DR.J :

as well it can lead to bacterial overload in the gut which may lead to rabbit bloat

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

What diet do you recommend do they need vegetables as some vegetables cabbage colliflower has caused them to have bloat

DR.J :

what I recommend is . mixed hay diet. Good quality hay mixture (there is one made by excel as well http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CN0738/burgess-excel-herbage ) which keeps them occupied the whole day with chowing the hay , it keeps the gut working all the time which means less chance of bacterial overload and bloat , as well caused release of endorphins in rabbit which means a happy calm rabbit.

DR.J :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX - low starch high fiber ones are the best . Carrots , lettuce , cucumber

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

They have access to good quality hay but some of them would not eat enough of it and therefore lost weight which vegetables do not cause bloat can you give me a exstensive list

DR.J :

But the concerning thing about vegetables if not attended regularly is the fact of bacterial growth as well (while the hay is dry)

DR.J :

As long as you offer pellets , they will not eat the hay

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

sorry i do not understand the last remark about vegetables

DR.J :

Vegetables are good breeding ground for bacteria as well if left for too long , I always say , place the vegetables fresh and if they are staring to show signs of being bed , take them out .

DR.J :

I have a good website for you in regards XXXXX XXXXX best fed to rabbits http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

DR.J :

it's very detailed as well

DR.J :

But the main emphasis should be hay and hay related plants with no pellets of any type

DR.J :

This has been proven already to be the best most natural diet (think of the wild bunnies and what they eat)

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

sorry like i said some of my rabbits need a few pellets to supplement their diet thats why i wanted to know which pellets to feed

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

alfalfa or timothy hay based if i have to feed some

DR.J :

I would say the one which contains more of them per pellet then actually between them

DR.J :

Have you tried feeding only hay ?

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

Yes and one of my rabbits refused to eat enough hay her gut slowed down and i had to take her to the vet who prescribed metoclopramide to get her eating again thats why she needs a few pellets she had lost to much weight

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

so are you saying the smaller pellets

DR.J :

I am saying to get the pellets which contain the highest percentage of fiber. don't worry about the probiotics as there is only limited about of that being used by the gut anyway and if she is fine , she will most probably expel it in her feces

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

ok thanks

DR.J :

I'm sorry you feel you got a poor service

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

sorry it was not what i was looking for goodbye

DR.J :

You have asked for nutritional support , I have told you what recent studies have found in order to help you rabbits

DR.J :

I can give a cut clean answer to your question as well - Use thw 27% fiber instead of 25% as it will benefit you rabbit better given less possibility for gut stasis (Oxbow)

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

I have been told not to give carrots as it contains too much sugar not to give lettuce as it has no value and i needed to know what to feed an adult rabbit alfalfa based pellets or timothy based pellets

JACUSTOMER-9amkxcg1- :

also a prebiotic is supposed to be good for a rabbit has it keeps their gut working but i needed to know if they need one in their food

DR.J :

As It seems you to not wish for my help , You CAN feed carrots even though they have sugar in them , they are still a rich source or fiber and vit A . and you can feed Watercress and lettuce as well as they are good as well.

DR.J :

I'm not sure you actually know what probio are but these are space occupying bacteria which take part in digestion of food , You can always add them to the diet as it's will do no harm but they will not be what keeps or stops the guy from functioning .

DR.J :

I suggest to realist your question as you are not satisfied currently