Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

HiLast night a neighbour of mine and myself found a hedgehog

Customer Question

Hi Last night a neighbour of mine and myself found a hedgehog covered in ticks, we managed to capture it and it is happy in my cat box. We would like to take it to get the ticks removed but we are both on low incomes and don't know where to go to get it treated. We are in Leeds West Yorkshire, could you advise us where we can take the little one so we can get it treated ASAP. Thank you Janice XXXXXXXXX

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Ticks are a very common issue for hedgehogs (its rare to see one come in without a few). If you are keen to get these removed, you do have a few options. First, since this is a wild animal, you can turn its care over to your local vet practice. As long as the hedgehog is otherwise well, then vet will treat it for the ticks before turning it over to the local wildlife rehabilitation center. (obviously if they take them in, then there'd be no charge to you).

That said, if you are keen to keep this hedgehog in your neighborhood, then you may need to consider phoning your local practices to see if they would be able to aid you. When doing so, it would be worth seeing if the practices will offer low cost (or even free) appointments with the nurse to remove these ticks.While you wouldn't see the vet in that instance, a veterinary nurse will have the skills to remove these ticks from this hedgehog. As well, they will be able to apply anti-tick treatments safely if required (since if done incorrectly can actually lead to breathing troubles for the wee hedgehog).

Finally, and the most economical option, would be to remove the ticks at home. This is something you can do as long as you take steps to make sure to remove the whole tick (since leaving the head or mouthparts behind would lead to him developing little pockets of infection that would then warrant antibiotic treatment). If you wanted to remove these ticks yourself, you would need to use a tick removal implement like the O'Tom Tick remover (example, amazon). These are available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and as you can see amazon. If you check the first link, you will be able to watch a video on how to remove ticks at home.

Overall, ticks are a very common issue for these wee ones. So, if you are keen to get him aid without significant expense, do consider removing them at home with a product like I have noted above. Otherwise, it is worth seeing if your local vet practice can offered a reduced fee nurse appointment for him or would consider taking him so that he can be take treated and then relinquished to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

If you want to find your nearest vets, you can check the RCVS register HERE.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )