Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog as red spots with scaly scabs on some of them on his

Customer Question

my dog as red spots with scaly scabs on some of them on his belly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Oscar has red spots and scaly/crusty patches on his skin; then this would be suspicious of Staphylococcus collarettes from a bacterial pyoderma (bacterial skin infection). Had the lesions been red/raw/angry, then we'd have to be worried about hot spots or even mite infestations. And if it had been subtle scales without the redness of irritation then we'd have to concerned about fungal infections.

In the case of bacterial pyoderma, the condition tends to arise when a dog scratches the skin or the skin is traumatized (even microtrauma) and the natural bacterial flora of the skin invades and causes these wee potentially itchy lesions to form. This can arise anywhere on the dog but the belly, groin and inner thighs are the most common areas. As well, it is possible to see bacterial pyoderma caused by underlying allergic disease (since an allergy making them itch will traumatize the skin and let the bacteria take advantage).

If Oscar only has a few spots, then you can start bathing these. To do this you can use, chlorohexidine (dilute) or even salt water bathe the area (1tbsp per pint warm water). This should be done a few times a day, and dried afterwards. Afterwards, you want to discourage any itching/chewing and further damage to the area but either placing e-collar (from the vets or pet store) or even placing a baby t-shirt (with an elasticated bottom) to cover the area (and t-shirt material will let the area breathe). If there isn't an underlying issue then this should help dry up the lesions and allow them to heal.

If they don't start settling within a week, are aggravatingly itchy, or further examination shows that lesions are quite diffuse and all over (more then a few lesions), then that would be your cue to consider seeing the vet so they could prescribe antibiotics to clear this outbreak. As well, if this were a severe case, then often we also treat with anti-inflammatory medication (ie low dose steroid) to relieve any associated itchiness and discomfort. If Oscar is prone to these types of skin flare ups then your vet may also dispense an antibacterial shampoo called Malaseb (example) which is very good at addressing pyoderma on the topical level.

Overall, Oscar's situation is most suspicious of a bacterial pyoderma of the skin. If there are just a few spots then home treatment can be tried. But if he is very itchy or there is a large number of these patches present, then we'd want oral treatment to clear the infection, and settle and soothe his skin.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

I have a wee note saying that this question needed further response but I cannot see that you have asked any further questions. Just in case this is an error in the system, can you please repost any questions or reply to let me know if you need any further information.

Dr. B.