Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have been bathing the dog, Eve, regular.She appears to

Customer Question

I have been bathing the dog, Eve, regular.
She appears to be suffering from very itchy skin and has broken the surface of her skin knawing and scrtatching.
There are no visible signs of fleas.

I have tried a small amount of olive oil on the area to ease the itch for her but she is in discomfort.

A few years back she had an injection for what my mother describes as mites under the skin....this doesn't make sense to us however.

She is in discomfort what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Eve. I'm so sorry she is having this problem, but I'm glad you are looking for the information you need to help her. If you return online and wish to join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can discuss your situation back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

There are a few different diseases that can cause a dog like Eve to have itchy skin. I'm glad there are no visible signs of fleas. There are many other things besides fleas, however, that can cause a dog to be itchy enough to break the skin. It's really important to identify the cause of the itching in order to plan the right treatment.

Dr. Jo :

The things that could be causing Eve to be itchy like this are the following:

Dr. Jo :
Dr. Jo :
Dr. Jo :

• Yeast infections of the skin. This is usually secondary to atopic dermatitis. You can find more information here:

Dr. Jo :
Dr. Jo :

By clicking on the links I've provided above you'll be able to read about the symptoms of these different conditions, how they're diagnosed, and the treatment.

Dr. Jo :

In order to help Evee, you'll need to take her to the vet for some simple tests to figure out which of these problems her skin symptoms are due to.

Dr. Jo :

Then the vet will be able to prescribe a treatment plan for her.

Dr. Jo :

If Evee were my patient, I'd plan on doing the following tests:

Dr. Jo :

• A thorough history and physical exam

Dr. Jo :

This would include information about diet, parasite control, and other pets in the household as all these things can contribute

Dr. Jo :

• A flea combing exam to look for even the tiniest evidence of flea exposure

Dr. Jo :

• A skin scraping to look for mites.

Dr. Jo :

• A fungal culture and cytology of the skin to look for yeast and other fungal skin infections

Dr. Jo :

The results from tests like those will help the vet decide which of the above diseases Evee has. Then the appropriate treatment can be prescribed.

Dr. Jo :

I hope this information helps you

Dr. Jo :

I see you are still offline. If you return and need clarification on anything I've said, please reply. I'll be notified of your response via email and I am happy to help.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for using our website

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
Just checking in to see how Evee is doing. Is there anything else I can do to help?