Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My elderly cockateil has just finished a moult and has not

My elderly cockateil has just finished a moult and has not been using his cuttlefish. His beak is curving close to the underneath of his jawline. What can I do before it prevents him eating. Thank you. Ann
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Pharoh. I'm so sorry he's having this problem and has you worried, but I'm glad you are looking for the information you need to help him.

Dr. Jo :

If you return online and wish to join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click REPLY. I'll be notified of your response, then we can chat back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I've given.

Dr. Jo :

I'll start by giving the simple answer to your question. When a beak is overgrown, you're right ... it can get in the way of eating.

Dr. Jo :

To prevent this, the overgrown tip of the beak can be trimmed with scissors, a trimmer, or a dremel tool, much like a toenail. Also like toenail, trimming too far can damage the living tissue of the beak and it will bleed and hurt.

Dr. Jo :

That's why this is a procedure best performed by someone experienced.

Dr. Jo :

Now here's the REALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION about your situation with Pharoh...

Dr. Jo :

Healthy beaks do not overgrow.

Dr. Jo :

When a bird has an overgrown beak, it really, really needs a trip to the vet to determine why the beak is overgrowing in the first place. It's not just because of the cuttlefish, by the way. Many cockatiels are kept without access to one and do not get overgrown beaks.

Dr. Jo :

Common reasons for a beak to overgrow include liver disease, nutritional problems, or trauma to the beak.

Dr. Jo :

So while trimming Pharoh's beak will solve the immediate issue, if you really want to help him, you need to get to the bottom of this.

Dr. Jo :

Remember... healthy beaks do not overgrow.

Dr. Jo :

Please make arrangements to take him to an experienced and knowledgeable avian veterinarian to pursue this as soon as possible.

Dr. Jo :

Scroll down on this page for a discussion on overgrown beaks:

Dr. Jo :

I see you are still offline.

Dr. Jo :

When you return, please let me know if you have additional questions or if there is anything else I can clarify for you.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for using our website.