Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

i deflead my dog on tuesday using flea shampoo and a topical

i deflead my dog on tuesday using flea shampoo and a topical treatment but she is still itching and scratching. i've checked under her coat and can't see any inflamation or anything, what is causing it, and how can i stop the itching?
Expert:  Dr. Larson replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Larson :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear that Poppy is having this problem. The itching that results from the flea bite is a result of an allergic response to the saliva. Each dog is individual as to how their immune system responds to this allergen. Some dogs can have numerous fleas on them and not scratch a bit, while others can have an itchy reaction for several days after just one bite. Getting the fleas off is a good start, but it sounds like Poppy needs a little extra help. An antihistamine such as Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) should help to reduce the itch. The recommended dose in dogs is 1mg per 2 kg and can be given every 6-8 hours as needed. If this does not quite get the job done, An omega fatty acid (fish oil) capsule can be given once daily. This helps to increase the activity of the antihistamine.

Customer:

is there anything topical we can try?