Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

i own a beautiful border collie male. Next week I am to get

i own a beautiful border collie male. Next week I am to get a female border collie of eight weeks what advice can you offer about when the bitch comes into season I am not planning on any breeding for well over 18 months if at all what steps can I take to keep both dogs apart when she comes into season
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about preventing unwanted breeding. I'm so glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

I will try to be as helpful as I can. If you return online and wish to join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I am so glad you are not anxious to breed as soon as possible. Good for you. All too often people will put their own excitement and desires ahead of what is really best for the breed and/or the dogs involved.

Dr. Jo :

You asked about what steps you will need to take to keep the dogs apart when she comes into season.

Dr. Jo :

The solution most people find to be the most practical and least risky in this situation is to not even have the male in the same house as the female.

Dr. Jo :

While behavior varies a lot from individual to individual, the fact remains that a male dog can smell a female in heat from a great distance, and he will go to great lengths to get to her.

Dr. Jo :

They can "do it" through a chain link fence. That's easy.

Dr. Jo :

He can dig and chew through doors, if so motivated.

Dr. Jo :

Screens are also easily destroyed, whether in windows or doors, if they are all that stands between a male dog and the opportunity to find an in-season female.

Dr. Jo :

Even if access is strictly controlled, the male can be difficult to manage. He may howl, become destructive, be distracted and forget his training and manners, etc.

Dr. Jo :

I don't mean to say all these things happen every time, but it's certainly a situation that's easier to avoid than to deal with.

Dr. Jo :

Since you've got time to plan ahead, I would make arrangements with a dog-loving friend who lives elsewhere to keep your male whenever your female comes into season.

Dr. Jo :

It won't necessarily be easy to tell when your pup comes into heat the first few times, so you'll have to be vigilant. I often hear stories from people whose first clue their young female pup was in heat came when they found her tied with one of the males in the house. :-(

Dr. Jo :

If you are are going to keep both dogs in the same house, you will need to institute maximum security types of measures to prevent an unwanted breeding.

Dr. Jo :

You will need to supervise the dogs at all times they are not confined/separated by something physically solid and separate enough to prevent the act of mating. Remember, chain link fence (or anything with a hole large enough) is not adequate.

Dr. Jo :

Keeping both dogs in the same house can be done, but it requires careful vigilance and separation, and the potential for damage to whatever is separating the male from the female is significant.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are still offline. I'd be happy to hear more about the specifics of your unique situation and would like to be as helpful as possible. Please let me know what else I can do.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
Just checking in to see if there's anything else I can do to be helpful. I hope your new puppy does well.

Thank you for using our website.