DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

I have v v old tortoise which I found on the road when Alison,my

I have v v old tortoise which I found on the road when Alison,my eldest daughter was 5. She is now 46 and Sammie, girl tortoise is v healthy but sleeps a lot. Is it ok if I hibernate her on 4th Sept as we go away for 6 weeks due to builders renovating our old garage. I usually ibernate her at end of Sept for 6 month. Jill Arnold
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

What means do you use in order to induce hibernation in Sammie?

DR.J :

Where will Sammie be one you leave your house ?

Customer:

In loft, 2 boxes, one box filled up with straw and 2nd box inside for Sammie to hibernate, also filled with straw and the cover, punched with holes for breathing.

DR.J :

Do you have any climate control in the loft ?

Customer:

cold

DR.J :

In principle , as long as you can create the right conditions of low/short daylight and cooler temp , Sammie's own mechanism will kick in and she would go into hibernation and there should be no problems with her starting earlier . The weather in the UK lately has been unpredictable and sudden warm days in September might wake her up so as long as you provide her with the ideal conditions , you should have no problems

DR.J :

As you seem to know how to create the right ''digging in'' environment , I trust she would do just fine

DR.J :

Just make sure if possible to have a vet take a look at her (just for a health check up) and consider worming her so you know she is going in in top shape

Customer:

Thank you very much. She is different from when she was v young and now v old and sleeps a lot. just right for her so many thanks. Jill

DR.J :

Make sure to do the process slowly and not in one go as it makes it easier for their metabolism to slow down , keep her with you in a cooler darker room over some days , slowly making it darker and darker , see that she digs in to her box and then move her to the final distention all the while making sure that the temperature in the loft does not increase above the temp you finally set when she went into hibernation.

DR.J :

You are very welcomed Jill and I wish you and Sammie all the best

DR.J :

Let me know if you need my help further.

DR.J :

Please before you leave , don't forget to rate our conversation :)

DR.J :

Cheers

DR.J :

Dr.J