DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

my kitten has not eaten since tuesday

Customer Question

I took my kitten away from his home for a day and when he came back he ate for a day and has not eaten since. What should I do.the day after he ate he vomited and had a runny stool. At my friends house he ate adult food  chicken in jelly. I was giving him whiskas kitten in gravy after changing it from felix kitten in jelly food. Could that cause the problem

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

How is tippy now ?

DR.J :

is he still vomiting ?

DR.J :

Is he eating / drinking anything ?

DR.J :

After reading your question I can see a number of factors which can lead to symptoms which occurred with Tippy

DR.J :

1. You removed a very young cat from it's natural environment into a new unknown (possibly hostile) environment which results in great stress to the young cat , this stress can result in many side effects one of which is getting sick and having episodes of diarrhea .

DR.J :

2. You have changed the food which you feed Tippy in one blunt event , this will as well work as a very catalyst towards having diarrhea.

DR.J :

I will advise you that cats are not like dogs , they don't like going on trips to other territories which are unfamiliar to them . Cats should NEVER be taken from their territory unless you need to pay a visit to the vet or you are moving home .

DR.J :

Cat's don't like meeting other cats (again not like dogs) , they are a solitary animals while dogs are a pack animal and likes socializing . Any movement from their own turf results in great stress which weakens their immune system.

DR.J :

Secondly , food , never change food quickly , it is always to be a gradual process over a week at times so the body gets used to the type of protein you are feeding.

DR.J :

In order to help Tippy you must first make sure he is drinking as we dont want him to get dehydrated . In case he isn't then it's important that we administer founds via a vein for which you will need the help of you very .

DR.J :

* fluids

DR.J :

We need to calm the stomach and intestines as well by offering basic nourishment. there are special pouches of food (at your vets again) which compile easy to digest protein and carbohydrates which will supply tippy with the energy he needs which alowing his body to heal.

DR.J :

If that is not an option , boiled chicken is an option (not roasted or cooked) with no skin an bones as a temporary food till the system calms down and then re-introduction to the usual food over a 7 day course.

DR.J :

again - hydration is the most important issue to deal with and if Tippy is not consuming water alone then veterinary assistants must be looked for .

DR.J :

I hope this helps

DR.J :

Please let me know if you have any need for my help further

DR.J :

all the best .

DR.J :

Dr.J