DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Our dog is having trouble passing motions in that a amount

Customer Question

Our dog is having trouble passing motions in that a amount of soft fecal matter comes when he strains as if there is a blockage. suspect cherry stones!

We have difficulty taking him to the vets plus being on a limited income all idea's gratefully recieved.
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Fellow .

DR.J :

When you describe his fecal motions , do you mean to say it's like a thine strip of feces ?

DR.J :

If indeed there is something stuck in his colon or rectum the a simple Xray would be able to help and determine it. It is rare that objects or food particles get stuck in this part of the digestive tract which is usually the thickest of all the other parts of the small intestines and as such I would questions if indeed there is cherry stones there unless there is a rigid fecal material which has hardened due to perhaps some level of general dehydration and now is blocking the passage out (it could in that case include some cherry parts)

DR.J :

It could be that he is not necessarily blocked at all but on the contrary , has soft feces due to intestinal inflammation but that again brings us to the first question which is a better description of the feces.

DR.J :

I understand the financial situation but I would still strongly recommend seeing a vet, even by a simple exam he can place his finer up the rectum and tell you if indeed there is something there or not and all it will cost you is a price of consultation, which I think would be worth it considering we are not 100% sure what we are dealing with and if one tries and gives medication fo constipation when the dog is actuly suffering from gut inflammation , he can worsen the situation quite seriously.

DR.J :

I hope this helps you , if you wish to discus the matter further then just let me know.

DR.J :

I wish you all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J

Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.
If you found our conversation beneficial , please dont forget to rate it .
Cheers

Dr.J