Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Im assuming my cat is pregnant as her teets are very swollen

Customer Question

I'm assuming my cat is pregnant as her teets are very swollen and her belly is low. About an hour ago she was laying under my bed growling at my other cats and was very agitated. When I looked there was a lot of blood but no sign of any kittens. However, I do know that when cats are in labour they go off of their food but she has just eaten and when she stood up she is still spotting blood
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You're correct to recognize that cats will stop eating approximately 24 hours prior to delivering their kittens. The finding of blood at this time, then, may indicate premature placental separation and fetal distress or a kitten may be lodged in the birth canal if her active stage 2 labor isn't fully expressed at this time.

We recommend having Dipsy's vet take a look at Dipsy at this time to determine if dystocia (difficult birth) is present. An abdominal X-ray or ultrasound is often necessary to determine the number and viability of the feti. Dipsy's eating suggests that she won't be delivering shortly but is a favorable sign of her overall health.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.