DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

I am an assured breeder in the uk I breed Lhasa apso looking

Customer Question

I am an assured breeder in the uk I breed Lhasa apso
looking for another breed toy, mini that's easy like Lhasa which breed do you think
Expert:  DrRalston replied 4 years ago.
I feel that the Shi Tzu are actually a very easy breed. They tend to have good sized litters over all, similar to your Lhasa.

They can have problems with dystocia during whelping. But, this would be a good reason to choose a female that has a wider pelvis versus a narrow pelvis. You would also be contributing to better genetics in that way as well.

Things to consider in Shi Tzu would be:

• wide pelvis
  • no stenotic nares, good breathing
  • no cherry eye
  • no luxating patella
  • good rear limb conformation

But, these are just my opinions. Going to be hard to give you a straight forward answer. But, I would consider the Shi Tzu.

Glad to converse this with you if you would like. If not, I will also open the question if you ask me to so that other experts might also give an opinion?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did think those but too need Lhasa really needed something different but hardy

we shortlisted bischon freze maltese and poms

I know no positive answer but to need to start rearing as the buikding cost me 22,500.00 so need to bring another breed in after 5 years of Lhasa. build my name up so now its just the choice

Expert:  DrRalston replied 4 years ago.
Of those three, I would go with the Maltese.

It seems there are trends in the types of pets people want. For example, Dalmation dogs and Chows seem to be dropping off my radar in the exam room.

However, the breeds that are the hottest right now are Maltese and mixes. Maltipoos have become increasingly popular in the last several years. I see this mix almost as much as Puggles.

It also seems to me that the Maltese has less breeding issues than either the pom or the bischon. Also, less attitude than either of them. Bischon can be very very fussy.

Maltese are listed to have 3-5 pups per litter (more like 2-4 in my experience)
Bischon go 1-6 pups per litter with the average being 4. But, I'll tell you, often it is only one pup. Which, makes your bottom line a little too close.
Poms 1-3. And I have seen very few threes.

SO Maltese might be your best over all bet for numbers....

All three are c-section breeds. But, keep in mind that during c-section it is not unusual to lose one pup out of the litter. Again, better to have larger litter sizes in case.