Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

13yr old yorkshire terrier keeps coughing and gagging is taking

Customer Question

13yr old yorkshire terrier keeps coughing and gagging is taking heart tablets vetmedin 1.25mg is there anything i can give him for the coughing elaine
Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.

I understand your pet is coughing. This is expected with heart disease.

Heart disease has to be closely monitored and regulated by your Veterinarian. Adding medications on your own is not recommended at all.

However, this could be a sign that the medication needs to be increased, or that you might not have the right medication yet.

This is really going to be best followed up with your Veterinarian in order to give your pet the longest life possible.
Once your pet has heart disease, any change should be closely monitored with your Vet in person.

There are several medications your Vet may consider: lasix (furosemide), enalapril, benazepril, digoxin, pimobendan to name a few.

All of those medications may be used in heart disease, but it depends on how bad the heart disease is, other medical issues of the pet, the size of the pet, the type of heart disease that is present (likely mitral valve disease in a pet this size and breed).

You don't want to give a medication to just cover the cough you understand. The cough is a symptom of the heart disease. If the cough is still present, it means that the heart disease is NOT under control and needs to be adjusted.

Please take my advice as an attempt to help for the best outcome for your pet.

I am here to answer any questions you might have however.
If you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave a negative review.