Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My Bantam hen has one glazed over and is very lethargic, can

Customer Question

My Bantam hen has one glazed over and is very lethargic, can you tell whats wrong and the cure please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm a bit far away from you (6000km) and so it will be difficult for me to clarify just why your hen is affected so but I can tell you that the most common causes of a glazed over eye and lethargy are trauma to that eye and its resultant pain and lethargy; or a respiratory infection.

Chicken coryza which is caused by both Haemophilus paragallinarum and Bordetella avium bacteria is most likely to cause ocular changes in our backyard fowl. Foamy, watery eyes, discharge from the nostrils, and sometimes swollen sinuses are seen. Treatment with over the counter Duramycin-10 which should be available from your local pet/feed store is recommended - particularly if you have more than one chicken. These infectious agents are quite contagious. This is what that tetracycline-containing product looks like: http://www.buycheapbargains.com/DURAMYCIN-10-SIZE-6-4-OUNCE/dp/B000HHM0P4

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. We don't have a lot of avian vets on this site and we don't come online at the same time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.