DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

one of my gerbils has died . could it be because a hamster

Customer Question

one of my gerbils has died . could it be because a hamster was put next to them in a cage ?
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

There are some diseases which might effect both species but both would be showing the same symptoms towards that disease so if your Gerbil was sick , I would have expected you Hamster to suffer from the same symptoms.

DR.J :

In light of this , I find it hard to believe that your hamster is the cause of death of your Gerbil .

DR.J :

Gerbils are very sensitive animals , especially with regards to climate changes which might have had something to do with it but I can't be sure . The only way to find out would be to perform a post mortem exam on him .

DR.J :

Again , sorry to hear about you little friend , but I would not put the master as prim suspect .

DR.J :

If you wish to discuss the matter further , let me know and I shall be happy to help.

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J