Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

i have 2 cats both have had kittens cat1 2kittens cat 2 4 kittens

Customer Question

i have 2 cats both have had kittens cat1 2kittens cat 2 4 kittens but sinse then both cats dont seem to be satisfied when they have eaten can you tell me why
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Smudge today.

I do apologize that your question hasn't been answered sooner. Unfortunately, different veterinary experts do come online at different times. That said, I have just come online, read your question, and do want to answer your query about the increased hunger you are seeing with your two cats.

Now increased hunger is not uncommon at this stage in the reproductive cycle. The reason is because the later stages of pregnancy and lactation are the most nutrient demanding time frame for female cats. Therefore, your cats will have a much higher nutritional requirement then they had prior to their pregnancy and even in the earlier stages of pregnancy.
Specifically, we can see their intake of their normal diet increase up to 2-4 times at this point.

Therefore, you do want to make an effort to offer their normal food several times a day (along with fresh water, canned food or water added to any dry diets to keep them hydrated) or even consider changing or adding in a diet with a denser nutritional plane to meet their requirements at this stage. You can read further about diet options and requirements at this life stage HERE.

Overall, the behavior is natural and a sign that the these new mums need more nutrition/food to ensure they are able to maintain their own weight while making milk and supporting the wee kittens.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )