Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

Hi we have a litter of four beautiful pug puppies were abit

Customer Question

Hi we have a litter of four beautiful pug puppies we're abit worried as we noticed two of them yesterday had a scab on their back and now this morning another one had one what can this be?
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry your pups have these scabs. It is impossible to diagnose their cause without a veterinary examination.

It is possible that the scabs are purely traumatic, puppies can clamber and climb all over each other and so little nicks and scratches are common. If this were the cause then with time the scab will peel off and certainly not get bigger or more multiple.

Scabbing lesions of the skin can be seen with infection and skin infection is a possibility. Ringworm is also another skin condition which will cause scabbing lesions but will often be seen with hair loss.

If the scabs are continuing to appear and/or the pugs reduce in their feeding or brightness or you notice any problems with mum you should get them all checked over by your vet.

Ensure the scabs remain dry and clean and if they start to weep then get them checked out.

I am sure they will settle with time.

Good luck

Dan Makin