Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My normally very lively 3 year old border collie is quite lethargic

Customer Question

My normally very lively 3 year old border collie is quite lethargic and occasionally gags but is not sick. She is eating normally and otherwise appears healthy.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- Did she get into anything?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take a rectal temperature on her?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 Since Saturday night

2 Nothing unusual she does tend to be quite loose normally

3 Not sure. She was left outside for a while in the rain on Saturday night and appeared to be quite different after that

4Gums appear pink

5 No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
When she gags, does it sound like she has something stuck in her throat?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is quite a deep sound. Not all that frequent though. Maybe three times today that I have noticed. After a walk this evening

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
David, being lethargic is a very non specific symptom and can be caused by so many different diseases. The fact that she is gagging suggest a possible upper respiratory infection called kennel cough where the inflammation in the upper airway will cause the gagging. If this is related to something like kennel cough she will need oral antibiotics. I would have her examined by family veterinarian to rule in kennel cough and start her on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter