Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

We have just got a one year old dog, she cries at night and

Customer Question

We have just got a one year old dog, she cries at night and scratches and pounds the door. This makes a dreadful racket and no one is getting any sleep and the neighbours have complained! We have done this for 3 nights now and she is getting worse, the only thing that stops her is if she has company. I slept on the sofa downstairs with her last night purely so that my children could get some sleep, but obviously this cannot continue. Last night she also messed all around the dining room, for the second time - she does not seem to want to do her business when she is outside!

She has a set sleeping place, with a comfortable bed, which she does sleep in provided she has company, and we walk her round the block or take her out in the garden last thing at night.

Help!
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Can you tell me how long you have had Tilly?

Dr. Lee :

And is she on any medications currently?

Dr. Lee :

It looks like you are not available at the moment. If you can please provide the above information so I can better assist you. Once you have replied, I will do my best to return to this chat as soon as I can. Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-vnugda5i- :

We have only had Tilly 4 days so I know it is early days, but we want to nip this in the bud as early as possible so we can set her expectations.

JACUSTOMER-vnugda5i- :

She is not on any medication

Dr. Lee :

Thanks for the info.

Dr. Lee :

So, base on your description, this sounds like that Tilly has a moderate to severe case of separation anxiety.

Dr. Lee :

With this problem, treatment usually involves LOTS of training time and often times will require medication to help.

Dr. Lee :

As for medication, it might not be life long, though it might be needed for months to maybe a year, depending on how the progress goes.

Dr. Lee :

There is no quick fix for such problem unfortunately.

Dr. Lee :

You can try leaving your door open at night to see if that would help in the interim.

Dr. Lee :

Hello? Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-vnugda5i- :

Yes, I am here.

JACUSTOMER-vnugda5i- :

Yes I am here. Which door do you mean? The door downstairs so that she can come upstairs?

Dr. Lee :

Yes. The door that she can get to you.

JACUSTOMER-vnugda5i- :

Sorry the reply button was not working!

Dr. Lee :

So if you have 2 doors, you leave both doors open.

Dr. Lee :

Basically allowing her to roam free in the house.

Dr. Lee :

Of course, doing so might lead to problems if she is not completely house trained.

Dr. Lee :

You can also try to place her in a cage at night, maybe in your room, so that she knows you are around.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Dr. Lee :

I'm not sure if there is a problem with this chat system. I will switch this over to the Q&A session, hopefully we can exchange in the other format so I can better assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I had problems with the chat system and could not add any comments.

Thank you for your advice we will persevere!

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
All the best with Tilly's training!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jane,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Let me know,