Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

my 2 year old collie x kelpie swallowed some greay grease proof

Customer Question

my 2 year old collie x kelpie swallowed some greay grease proof paper a few days ago, he will eat pork and chicken, but either has the runs or is unable to go
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Have you been chicken the stool to see if he has passed the paper?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Any vomiting?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have been checking his stools and no paper passed. he is lethargic. His gums are pink. a bit of vomiting

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Anne, I am concern Max may have the paper obstructed in the intestinal tract. You see, this is a concern because if obstructed the segment of the intestines where it is obstructed can loose the blood supply causing irreversible damage and even perforation of the bowel with fatal consequences. For this reason I would strongly recommend having Max checked today by family veterinarian for an xray with barium (contrast material) to make certain the paper is passing through. If you can not get him to the vet today this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Offer him low sodium chicken broth to get him to drink more.
3- Change the diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the paper out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

The Professional has left an answer for you. Please remember to rate the answer given once you are satisfied. You can ask follow up question for no additional charge.