Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my cat tootley is about 8 9 years old and just recently I have

Customer Question

my cat tootley is about 8 9 years old and just recently I have noticed her losing weight. She is female I have being giving her different kinds of both nuts and pouches
and was doing well on the food. I think I have given her too much tuna and I am just after reading on the net that you should introduce food slowly I think I gave her too much tuna at once and she ahs lot a lot of weight can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting or diarrhea?
2- Is she drinking more than usual?
3- Were you only feeding her tuna?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in reply to your questions there is no vomiting or diarrhea only the usual

coughball because she is a long haired cat. no she is not drinking more than usual

3. I was also feeding her gocat dried food nuts and also whiskas food pouches and just recently giving her gourmet tins from sainsburys she became picky with her food so I tried alternatives. Even though she has been eating little and often she has lost weight.She also has had bis tats in her

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Celia, it is possible for her to loose weight if she was not eating her cat food. But, it does not sound like this is the case. I am a bit concern that the weight loss could be related to something else unrelated to diet. You see, a very common cause in older cats for weight loss is an over active thyroid (hyperthyroidism) despite normal food intake, sometimes cats will even eat more. Having an increase thyroid hormones levels increases the metabolism causing the weight loss. Other possible causes are: liver or kidney disease, diabetes and even cancer to name a few causes.
In this case, on history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. Your cat will need to have a blood test (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test by your family veterinarian. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend having her checked by family veterinarian for the above test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter