Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My yorky keeps going round and round on its bottom also keeps

Customer Question

My yorky keeps going round and round on its bottom also keeps licking as she goes round she has seeded warts all over her I am worried that she has cancer its really the round and round that worries me she is 14 years old
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 14 year old girl Hannah who has been licking her bottom as well as scooting. Dogs generally go overboard with the licking and scooting back there primarily because they have irritation around their back end. This could due to anal irritation or pain, or due to a skin itch or irritation. The most common causes for this behavior include:

1.) Full or impacted anal glands
2.) Fleas
3.) Intestinal worms
4.) Skin irritation around the anus or at the tail base.

It could well be that Hannah's anal glands are full and need to be emptied. Ensure her anal glands are cleared out regularly by your Vet or groomer. If she is scooting as well as licking, it is quite likely she needs her glands expressed. You should also add some fiber to her diet to help minimize the number of times the glands need to be cleared. Try adding some bran flakes or metamucil to her wet food, or feed her some canned pumpkin.

Also be sure to keep on top of the flea and worming treatments. Make sure you use a reliable product like this. Advantage or Advocate are perfect for defleaing and I would suggest a good All-wormer like Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur as well. This will help to sort out numbers 2 and 3! If she gets skin irritations, then be sure to shampoo her every week or two. You can also try a little benadryl if you think this may be the cause. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily.

It is unlikely to be the warts, which are typically benign and very common in older Yorkies - however it would pay to get these checked over next time you take Hannah in to your Vet.

I hope the above makes sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards