DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Hi I found a hamster in the bin area in my apartment complex

Customer Question

Hi I found a hamster in the bin area in my apartment complex at first I thought it was just a cage until I looked inside I don't know if it's male or female but it has a swollen jaw and watery eye what should I do with it as i cant keep it im not allowed pets
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

firstly it's very nice that you care and I thank you for that

DR.J :

By the sound of it, it might have an infection in his jaw , either as a result of his teeth or of other origin.

DR.J :

I would try and take them to my local vet . tell them your story - they will examine him and tell you what it is that is causing this selling .

DR.J :

I found that in a clinic there is always someone willing to take a hamster (one of the staff ) as they require little care . especially people with kids .

DR.J :

So you might land him a new home and the best care ever

DR.J :

it is very sad that people throw away animals which are sick or too much to handle

DR.J :

in the meanwhile - make sure he is drinking

DR.J :

take a small syringe or a pipette and hydrate him with water that we mixed with just a sparkle of sugar as he/she might be too painful to eat anything else.

DR.J :

Make sure to take him to your vets this morning as all regular vets are still open .

DR.J :

Keep him warm and dry.

DR.J :

I wish you the best of luck.

DR.J :

Please let me know if you need my help further .

DR.J :

All the best,

DR.J :

Dr.J