Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

dog may of eaten slugs he seems to have breathing problems

Customer Question

dog may of eaten slugs he seems to have breathing problems what can i do
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.

Pet Doc :

Hi there,

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your 7 year old boy Sioux who is currently having some breathing issues

Pet Doc :

As you can probably appreciate, there are quite a number of possible causes for Sioux's current breathing issues. This includes anything from asthma, to lungworm, to a respiratory infection (to name but a few potential causes)

Pet Doc :

If you have seen your boy lick/sniff slugs, then lungworm is a real concern here

Pet Doc :

Hopefully your boy is up to date with an appropriate topical lungworm treatment like Advocate

Pet Doc :

Advocate also kills fleas and intestinal worms, but is ideal for lungworm

Pet Doc :

If your boy is in any sort of respiratory distress now, then you really should get him seen today if at all possible.

Pet Doc :

A full physical exam including careful thoracic ausucultation may highlight an issue that needs to be dealt with urgently. It is quite likely that further diagnostics including full bloods, chest xrays and possibly even a broncoscopy would be needed first however.

Pet Doc :

Do also take in a fresh faecal sample as well, as this can be used to help rule out lungworm

Pet Doc :

If your boy hasn't had any advocate treatment, then this needs to be given asap in case this is indeed lungworm

Pet Doc :

If your boy is having breathing issues right now, there isn't anything you can do for him from home, so if this is the case, definitely get him seen today if you can please

Pet Doc :

I hope the above makes sense?

Pet Doc :

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for yoy

Pet Doc :

you

Pet Doc :

Are you there?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards