Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my young pet silky hen has had his head fethers pecked off

Customer Question

my young pet silky hen has had his head fethers pecked off by another silky , itshead was swelled i rub it down with baby wipes , ihave been given it water but have to force it to drink please help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now the difficulty with Rooney's issues is that we almost have a 'chicken or egg' situation with Rooney's swollen head. Specifically, we need to determine if the swelling is directly secondary to being feather plucked by a bully, indirectly related as the stress of the bullying could have allowed an opportunistic agent to gain a foothold, or if the bully feather plucked him because they appreciate he was already becoming unwell and brewing an illness.

To help us pinpoint which may be to blame, can you tell me:

How long has he been swollen?

Any coughing, sneezing, discharges, odors, or other respiratory signs?

Any diarrhea?

You noted that he isn't drinking on his own.

Will he eat?

Do you think this is due to feeling unwell or struggling with a swollen head?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.