Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi please can you help me i have a three year old chinchilla

Customer Question

hi please can you help me i have a three year old chinchilla who is on his own and for the past couple of weeks ave seen a big change in his mood he seems t be sad his willy has been sticking out constantly and now i have just found a large lump under his neck can you please help me i am soooo worried
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for such a delay in responding to you. There aren't many vets willing to discuss chinchillas on this site.

The most important disorder to attend to at this time is the likely accumulation of hair ("fur ring"), smegma, or both around the base of the glans penis when it is enclosed within the prepuce. The ring of hair can eventually stop the penis from retracting into the prepuce as appears to be the case at this time. In severe cases, an engorged penis is seen protruding from the prepuce, resulting in paraphimosis (inability to retract the penis into the prepuce). The condition is not only painful but also may cause urethral constriction and acute urinary blockage. Treatment includes carefully removing any fur or debris from the penis. Topical ointments or gels are applied to prevent drying of the exposed penis and everted prepuces. For cases with underlying infection, systemic antimicrobials are initiated.

Your chinchilla will need veterinary attention. While seen for the above, the large lump can be investigated as well. In most cases, the lump turns out to be matted fur especially if the chinchilla is kept in a humid environment or if they are deprived of dust baths. Provide dust baths for approximatley 15 minutes per day and reduce humidity levels if necessary.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.