Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have 2 love birds that my girlfriend brought down from home,

Customer Question

I have 2 love birds that my girlfriend brought down from home, one peach faced and one fischer's, they appear to have come down with a mite infestation. After looking online I found that the recommended treatment was Ivermectin 0.1% one drop on the back of the neck once a week for a 3 week course along with deep cleans of their cage. They completed the course on Saturday however still appear to be showing signs of infestation and I am still finding the odd mite in the nooks of their cage. Is it safe to continue this treatment or should I be using something else?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

If they are not showing any symptoms of problems with the meds then yes you can continue the treatments. You need to do a complete cleaning and bleaching of the cage, all toys and remove all organic material each time that you apply the ivermectin. Otherwise the mites will survive in corners of cage, in wooden toys, almost any small nook or cranny. If we don't get rid of them in the environement too then we will not ever be rid of them .

Dr. Dan