Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 8 year old female siamese cat is immediately sick after

Customer Question

My 8 year old female siamese cat is immediately sick after eating. I've tried all kinds of food - no grain, Royal Canin gastro intestinal (on the advice of my vet) both wet and dry, organic, special 'siamese' dry food, even had her in the local animal hospital - all to no avail.
I'm at a loss as to where to go next.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn India is vomiting. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- So basically she is vomiting the food back up, correct?
3- Is she losing weight?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Is she on hair ball medication?
6- Did the vet do some testing like blood work, xrays, etc?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has been going on for some months now. She is vomiting the food back. No she is not losing weight. No other symptoms. She is not on hair ball medication. I do not think this has anything to do with hair balls. The vet diud testing xrays etc. at the hospital.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
C Kent when see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. If your vet did plain xrays they made need to do a barium study (give contrast liquid to highlight esophagus, stomach and intestines) or an abdominal ultrasound to better evaluate the gastrointestinal tract. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Divide her meals to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day.
2- Raise her eating bowl on to a small stool to force her to raise her head while she eats.
3- If possible, offer her a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken for a few days. Then wean back to regular diet.
4- Though not likely to be a hair ball problem, in any case with a history of chronic regurgitation without other symptoms always a good idea to treat with hair ball medication like Laxaire or Laxatone. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store, it will not hurt her.
5- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found your web-site very frustrating. I finally had a reply from Dr. Peter and give him full marks.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
C Kent, I am sorry if you are having problems with the site. I have not received an evaluation by you but thank you anyway. If you are having problems with the site you will need to direct those problems to customer service, I have no control over those issues, Sorry.

Dr. Peter