Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

My 12 hh mountain and moorland pony is losing her tail.i washed

Customer Question

My 12 hh mountain and moorland pony is losing her tail.i washed it last week and she had a scab under her tail. I washed it tonight and it was falling out in handfulls and it seems to have scabbed up all the way around. She has not rubbed it but seems sore. Please can you help
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry Pickle is losing the hair on the tail.

There are several things that can cause this. One is traumatic hairloss secondary to the tail being itchy (usually parasitic either lice or allergy to the culicoides fly (sweet itch)) the other cause is hairloss following inflammation or infection of the hair follicles and skin. Sometimes more than one process is present i.e initially itchy with lice followed by infection of the skin following rubbing.

So it is important to determine exactly what's going on with Pickles tail. So a careful examination to look for lice and if evident (also check the mane) the treatment with a topical anti louse powder. Infection may require antibiotics either oral or more likely topical, the use of a shampoo called Malaseb (anti fungal and antibacterial and only available from your vet) may be helpful,

A veterinary examination may be needed as your vet will be able to assess if the scabbing is traumatic or part of the initial skin problem as well as assessing for sweet itch or lice and ultimately allowing for medicines to be dispensed. In the meantime keep the tail clean and dry and ensure Pickle isn't rubbing it.

Good luck

Dan Makin