DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

hello I have a welsummer hen chick who seems to have hurt her

Customer Question

hello I have a welsummer hen chick who seems to have hurt her leg, she can put wait on it but prefers to stick it out and hope on one leg . What can I do to help her?
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about your girl's leg .

DR.J :

The big question is what is the extant of the damage.

DR.J :

It could be that we are only talking about some mild bruising which can result in local inflammation and pain and with some time and perhaps pain relief would go away on it's own .

DR.J :

It might be we are dealing with bone damage , fracture or creaks in the bone itself . This would require some more serious investigation .

DR.J :

It could be even an infection of sorts , nail bed infection , or sever skin , muscle or even bone infection which could result in sever lameness .

DR.J :

The question is if she is otherwise ok , and still attempting to eat and drink.

DR.J :

There are medications which can help reduce the pain and inflammation but they can only be prescribed by your vet .

DR.J :

meanwhile all you can do is supply your pullet with a soft bed as best possible and minimizing stress to allow rest . Monitor her eating and drinking habits to make sure she does not become dehydrated . If you see no improvement then I would strongly advise seeing your vet for a more in depth investigation.

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If your wish to discus the matter further then please let me know.

DR.J :

all the best.

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

Hi again . I hope you pullet is doing better .Please let me know if I can help