DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

we have a cat of eighteen who will need treatment for seizures.

Customer Question

we have a cat of eighteen who will need treatment for seizures. on a basic oap pension the cost of a consultation blood tests tablets and ongoing treatment is exhorbitant. why are costs so high and why has has money overtaken the love and care of a family pet by the veterinery profession
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Lucky .

DR.J :

There are some things you need to understand :

DR.J :

1. Veterinary medicine is privet medicine - as apposed to NHS which is subsidized by the government (in actuality it's not because you pay national health insurance all your life- try and sum that up and see how much you pay for you health). If the NHS was not subsidized by the government you would be paying much much much (no rooms for the much I wish to put in) more then your veterinary bills as human drugs are much more expensive the the veterinary ones.

DR.J :

2. In light of paragraph one , you must understand that having a pet is like having a child . It's not just the fun and loving part but it's the taking care of their every need which comes as a very expensive thing - buying food , clothing , days out, gifts , and the list goes on and on . If you are unable to withstand these financially then I would advise no having a child ( and I think you would say the same thing) , the same goes for pets . As veterinary medicine is privet medicine it stands alone with no government help so you need to make sure you can afford taking care of an animal before taking it in.

DR.J :

3. You mentioned your cat needs blood test , and tablets to help it control it's seizures. Where do you think the knowledge for this is all from ?! We have not government grants for research (like cancer foundation and all kind of other disease which get moneys in order to study into the disease) . By people paying their bills - we can pay our bills to the pharmaceutical companies (if you though that veterinary drugs are cheap then they are not and this is why) which supply us with mediation , and surgical equipment and they in turn study new drugs that when the day come and your animal gets sick - will be able to make it better.

DR.J :

I strongly resent your comment about the veterinary profession , could you name me one vet is rich and just swimming in money ?!! you can't ! there are non , did you know as well that the veterinary profession holds the highest suicide rate of any other profession in the UK!!! You want to know why ?! because the normal vet works 12-13 hours a day many times with now break and that includes weekends to tend to you animal when it't in pain - Is that not dedication to animals ?? can you tell me of any other profession such as that ?? do you think you GP would care about your medical conditions as the vet would do about your cat ?? if you seek emergency help in the middle of the night - your vet will either still be there for you or will pay to hire a privet emergency company that would see your cat on the spot and will not let you sit waiting for hours like you would do in case you or one of your family members needs the help of the human emergency services (A&E and such).

DR.J :

Vets cost money cause - vets need to pay for :-medical equipment to - treat your cat

DR.J :

- drugs to treat your cat

DR.J :

- for vets who studied for 6-7 years and became specialized DOCTORS to treat your cat

DR.J :

- for nurses who work hard to treat your cat and make it comfortable

DR.J :

- for rent on a clinic so you will have a place to go when your cat is sick

DR.J :

- for a receptionist who will greet you when you come in

DR.J :

- for ever changing drugs which are expensive - in order to treat you cat

DR.J :

- for emergency service just in case you need it - in order to treat your cat.

DR.J :

(sorry wrote drugs twice - as they are very expansive)

DR.J :

Eventually we have left to ourselves just enough to leave a respectable life and nothing more .

DR.J :

Now , if that is not love and dedication to your pet from us the trained professionals , then I don't know what it !!

DR.J :

I hopes this cleared it up and made you understand .

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

Please forgive me for some of the spelling as was in a rush

DR.J :

as well as inflamed

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
I am here to help further if you wish to continue our chat.

Best of luck with Lucky.

Dr.J