DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

Yesterday evening, whilst busy in the kitchen, I heard a clattering

Customer Question

Yesterday evening, whilst busy in the kitchen, I heard a clattering of cage doors and on investigating my 5 yr old collie bitch was staggering about unable to stand. She kept falling over. I bundled her into the car and drove to my vet (10 mins) and when I got there she seemed fully recovered, did a poo and a wee, and so I drove home again. She seemed absolutely fine afterwards. Could it have been a fit, and would my vet be able to diagnose anything if I took her in today?
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

By what you are describing it could have just been that Bonnie did indeed had a seizure of sorts and you might have got there just at the very end as she was recovering from it and her brain in a way ''rebooting''.

DR.J :

This would explain the staggering and confusion that might have been seen on her face.

DR.J :

When we suspect a dog had a seizure , and it's only the first time it has been recorded , the next step would usually be monitoring and conducting a diary to document and similar events in means of when did they occur (in relation to the former seizure) how much time did they take and the dogs way of behavior during and after the seizure has ended.

DR.J :

I usually recommend as well filming the event as it gives us the best information .

DR.J :

There are several things which can lead to seizures and they are divided into being primary to the brain and nervous system or when the brain is affected by something else externally like a poison or a metabolic disease (some liver and kidney disease). In case of the second option the neurological signs are usually continues meaning the dog doesn't stop showing them which leads me to believe that this is not the case

DR.J :

From my experience B.Colies are known to suffer from what is called idiopathic epilepsy (such as in humans) , and her age as well fits the profile but in order for us to diagnose it we need to eliminate anything else being the cause like - brain lesion , musculoskeletal diseases and such .

DR.J :

The process involves performing and MRI of the brain .

DR.J :

But I think we are way too early in the process.

DR.J :

what I would recommend at this point is close monitoring, It could be that this indeed was a seizure and then next one if ever was to happen can occur in 6 months for example so I would not get to worried at this point .

DR.J :

make sure as I say to take all the information you can if another one does happen .

DR.J :

I hope this helps.

DR.J :

Is there anything else you wish to ask me ?

DR.J :

I you do have any more questions on the matter , I shall be happy to help.

DR.J :

All the best

DR.J :

Dr.J

JACUSTOMER-8cdvs9c8- :

Thank you so much James, it was so scary at the time and I had so many things going through my mind eg. poison, did she get trapped in the cage door, stroke etc. but it would seem that it could have been a seizure. I will do as you suggest and keep a close eye on her. I remembered this morning that her litter sister had a seizure a year ago, whilst pregnant, but I was assured that it was not epilepsy. I was thinking or breeding from her at the time, but had her speyed just in case.

DR.J :

DR.J :

thank you for your answer

DR.J :

Indeed at this point I would just monitor , no need to worry to much and let us just see how she gets along.

DR.J :

In case we do diagnose it as epilepsy , There are treatments toward helping them as well as a brand new drug which is supposed to be revolutionary in treatment , but we are miles away still.

DR.J :

I'm glad I could help.

DR.J :

Let me know if you need my help further .

DR.J :

Best of luck to you both .

DR.J :

and just before you leave , please dont forget to rate out conversation

Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi again , hope Bonnie is feeling better now and you are monitoring her closely .

Please do not forget to rate our conversation.

thanks

James