Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My Syrian hamster has lost a lot of fur on its stomach and

Customer Question

My Syrian hamster has lost a lot of fur on its stomach and on the side of one leg. I've put spot on flea treatment on her but it hasn't made any difference. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is Britney scratching at these areas? Does the skin appear red and irritated?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Loretta

I notice her scratching sometimes but not a lot. The skin isn't red or irritated. Last night she bit my son which is hugely unusual and I wondered if it was linked?

best

Rachel

Thank you Rachel...Britney may have bitten your sone because she is grumpy from this discomfort. For now, Rachel, apply Cortaid along with Tinactin to these areas that are hairless. These can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy and will relieve this discomfort and hopefully stop this infection.

There is a possibility that this could be a fungal infection so if this combination is not effective, try Tinactin plus Cortaid to see if this will help.

If these are not effective then you will have to have your vet examine Bentley and run tests to determine the cause.

Does that make sense to you, Rachel?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta