Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My springer spaniel ate a used tampon 2 days ago. He vomited

Customer Question

My springer spaniel ate a used tampon 2 days ago. He vomited last night but passing stools fine. He is still eating well. Should I be worried ?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

JACUSTOMER-91w9qcyg- :

I am concerned that the tampon may cause a blockage. At the moment Charlie seems fine though, apart from vomiting 3 times last night

Scott Nimmo :

Well swallowing that sort of object can sometimes cause problems such as intestinal tract impactions but also it can be degraded by the stomach acids and so disintegrate and pass through.

Scott Nimmo :

I would have thought that if he is not vomiting today and is bright and eating well and passing stools OK then there is every chance that he will be fine.

JACUSTOMER-91w9qcyg- :

What sort of signs should I be worried about ?

Scott Nimmo :

However you should keep a good eye on him and if an impaction occurs you would be seeing signs such as abdominal pain, lethargy, anorexia, straining to pass faeces , that sort of thing.

Scott Nimmo :

Oh and more vomiting, that would often be part of the picture as well ...

Scott Nimmo :

Intestinal tract obstructions are a fairly severe event so you would not normally be in any doubt that something had gone wrong, it would be fairly obvious

JACUSTOMER-91w9qcyg- :

OK. He is completely himself at the moment. If I see any of the above signs I will take him to the vets.

Scott Nimmo :

That seems a good plan, you would be taking very little risk in just observing him over the next few days and then contacting your vet if you become further concerned. But what you have told me so far is very encouraging ...

JACUSTOMER-91w9qcyg- :

Thank you for reassuring me.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you .. good luck with Charlie ...