Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 18 month old dog - a yellow Labrador bitch - seemed to suddenly

Customer Question

My 18 month old dog - a yellow Labrador bitch - seemed to suddenly be in pain at the base of her tail. There are no apparent injuries, redness, thorns etc. She has had a normal bowel movement today and is passing urine fine. She also managed her walk as normal this morning.

She was panting and restless, but for the last half hour seems to be settling a little, but I definitely think at worst she is still feeling pain or at least discomfort. She also seems to be rigid in the base of tale area, but obviously I don't want to go touching the area if its painful for her.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX H
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she able to wag her tail?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Besides the panting and restless can you describe her symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I went to have a look at her tail she moved it underneath her as if to keep it away from me. But she hasn't wagged her tail so far, but then she doesn't tend to unless she gets very excited.

She doesn't really have any other symptoms apart from the pain, restlessness - like trying to comfortable - and panting. The pain started about 3 hours after she came back from her walk this morning and about 10 minutes after she had got up from resting. This is the first time this has happened.

She did get very wet and a bit cold on her walk this morning as we got caught in torrential rain on the way back - I'm just adding this in for info but it probably doesn't help at all.

She isn't panting now or restless,and does seem to be a bit more comfortable. I've had a look at her tale just now and it seems to be lying normally and I can't see any obvious bumps or deformity. She is walking normally and her tale is actually sitting how it normally does but still with a bit of tension although not as much as earlier. However, she is now much more alert and a bit more like herself.

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- Can you try to stimulate her to get her happy and see if she wags her tail?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry about the delay, due to the high winds the internet connection is getting cut off at times.

She is wagging her tale but don't think she feels too comfortable when she was, but its definitely wagging.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- How much does she weigh?
2- Is she on any medications?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?