Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

There is a wild cat that I have been feeding for over a year

Customer Question

There is a wild cat that I have been feeding for over a year now and something has happened to him as it appears his pelvis is broken or his two back legs. He is in a lot of pain and cannot walk, he is crying all the time and I feel so helpless. Can anything be done for him as I could not afford to pay for expensive treatment? I would appreciate a call on XXXXXXXXXX if possible for advice. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I am sorry to hear that Charlie is having this sort of trouble.

Dr. Drew :

What you are describing, may be a condition known as "saddle thrombus", where a blood clot forms, and blocks the flow of blood to the back legs.

Dr. Drew :

this causes the paws of the rear legs to become colder than the front paws,

Dr. Drew :

and causes significant pain, along with inability to move or support weight with the rear legs.

Dr. Drew :

This is not at all a condition that can be managed at home, unfortunately,

Dr. Drew :

and even with aggressive hospitalization and intensive care,

Dr. Drew :

the prognosis is quite guarded.

Dr. Drew :

Typically, there is underlying heart disease which is what increases the formation of blood clots in the bloodstream,

Dr. Drew :

and so even if the current clot dissolves, a new one may form in days, weeks, or months later.

Dr. Drew :

many cats with this condition are humanely euthanized, sadly.