Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Please could you comment on the transfer to humans of this

Customer Question

Please could you comment on the transfer to humans of this ? mite and upholstery.

My brother whose dog Spot is, insists that on nursing her he can feel the mites on his

bauld head, I can find no evidence. We are continuing with another course of Aldacte

before we make a decision on skin biopsy. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The only canine mange mite of significance when zoonotic spread is considered to humans is Sarcoptes scabei. It can transiently infest humans who usually report an intensely pruritic (itchy) rash across their abdomens.

If scabies is confirmed, dog bedding should be disposed of and the environment thoroughly cleaned and treated with parasiticidal sprays such as one that contains fipronil (Frontline, e.g.).

I'm not aware of a blood test for Sarcoptes. Skin scrapings can be taken but are only 20% accurate because mites are extremely difficult to find. Response to treatment is an appropriate manner in which to diagnose the presence of this mange mite. I'm not familiar with Aldacte spot on, however, and so would appreciate your telling me the active ingredient in that product.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.